Program Increment Planning Review
Program Increment (PI) planning is an important event in the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®), a scaling framework that helps multiple Agile teams synchronize their collaboration and delivery. Bringing together a hundred or more people for a 2 or 3-day event is a significant investment for any organization. The investment should result in a plan for the next 8–12 weeks, including PI objectives, team objectives, and a program board.
Done well, PI planning mitigates risks, achieves alignment between teams and with leadership, and exposes and resolves dependencies. Done poorly, it is a frustrating and expensive event—participants walk away wondering why the company spent so much time and energy on it.
Construx can make your PI planning activities as efficient and effective as they can be.
Construx’s PI Planning Review includes the following set of structured events:
- Review and analysis of work products from the previous PI
- Review of value streams and the Agile Release Train (ART) to ensure alignment and efficiency
- Interviews with key staff, including the Release Train Engineer (RTE), architects, product managers, and technical influencers
- Observation of your PI planning event
- Review and analysis of the feedback for your PI planning event
- Creation of a report highlighting recommended improvements
- Discussions with your RTE and key staff about the recommendations
After the engagement, you’ll have
- A summary of strengths and gaps in your current PI planning process
- Specific, prioritized recommendations for improvements
Other SAFe-Related Services
Construx can also support your SAFe efforts with these services: helping organizations adopt SAFe, SAFe courses, facilitating your PI planning event, a Scaling Scrum course, and customized scaling consulting.
Contact us for more information on PI planning support or any these offerings.
2-3 day workshop