Software Configuration Management Overview
Learn the discipline and practices required to ensure the completeness, correctness, and consistency of a software system throughout its evolution.
About Software Configuration Management Overview
Duration: 2 – 2.5h
Resources: Course Workbook
A software system typically combines thousands of software items: code, scripts, databases, libraries, and many other deliverables. Given that changes are intrinsic to software, it is challenging to maintain the integrity of a software system when all of those items are changing frequently. Software configuration management (SCM) provides the discipline and practices needed to ensure the completeness, correctness, and consistency of a software system throughout its evolution. Using a five-step approach, this introductory course will get you started on those essential practices. Under each step, you will find specific practices, guidelines, and activities to ensure proper adoption.
After completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Describe what SCM is and why it’s important
- Identify the essential tools for performing SCM practices optimally
- Apply version control practices to assure your work is never lost
- Apply change control practices to introduce changes safely
- Apply effective practices to integrate and validate your changes frequently
This course is for software product team members, especially developers creating and maintaining the code and other deliverables.