Agile metrics ensure that you meet your engineering goals for productivity, market competitiveness, agile adoption, quality, and other objectives. Done well, Agile software metrics align with your business’s top-level objectives and support them (OKRs, KPIs, etc.).
Common software metrics challenges include:
- Engineering metrics that do not measure or support the overarching business strategy
- Agile metrics that are not defined with enough rigor to provide insight
- Software metrics that measure what is easy, rather than what is important
- Stale metrics that have not kept up to date with current technical practices and business needs
Construx will help you reach clarity and confidence in your data by creating a simple, meaningful set of metrics tailored for your unique situation.
Construx’s Approach to Software Metrics
Our approach begins with understanding your goals. Ideally, we begin with your business’s top-level OKRs (KPIs, etc.) and build a set of supporting metrics from there. A good metrics program will have traceability through several levels:
- Business outcomes and strategies
- Product strategy
- Engineering strategy
- Engineering execution
Armed with understanding of your business context and Agile metrics goals, we guide you through a process of defining crystal clear indicators you can use to monitor and guide your engineering organization. Our approach gives you a landing zone monitoring system tailored to your organization. Here’s just one example:
As we work through identifying a useful set of metrics for your specific engineering organization and business, Construx will provide industry benchmarking data (where available) to support establishing competitive, achievable targets for your metrics.
At the end of an engagement, you’ll have a set of highly focused metrics including:
- Traceability from top-level business metrics into organization-level and team-level software metrics
- A metrics landing zone you can use to monitor performance of your organization and teams
- Description and guidance on metric usage
- Formula definition, typical values and/or distributions, and measurement targets (when appropriate and available)
We will provide additional support as you deploy these new metrics throughout your organization.
Whether you are seeking to improve productivity, better delight your customers, improve responsiveness, improve code quality, or assess the impact of an Agile transformation, we can help. Contact us to begin defining the most useful set of metrics you have ever seen.
“After going through a metrics engagement with us, one of the most common responses we hear is, We’ve never had this level of clarity about our engineering effectiveness.”
“We’ve helped hundreds of organizations achieve their goals with Agile. Reach out and we will put you on the path to success.”
Helping teams at these organizations