||Weeks on List
||Risk Resolution Progress
- User interface prototype used to gather high-quality requirements.
- Requirements specification has been placed under explicit change control.
- Staged delivery approach will be employed to provide some ability to change features if needed.
||Requirements or developer gold-plating
- Vision statement specifies what is not included in software.
- Design emphasis placed on minimalism.
- Reviews have checklist item to check for "extra design or implementation."
||Released software has low quality
- User interface prototype developed to assures users will accept software.
- Disciplined development process is used.
- Technical reviews are used on all requirements, designs, and code.
- Test planning assures all functionality will be covered by system testing.
- System tests are performed by independent testers.
- Project avoids making schedule commitment prior to completing requirements specification.
- Upstream reviews are used to detect and correct problems when it is least expensive to do so.
- Schedule is reestimated several times over the course of the project.
- Active project tracking assures that any schedule slips will be detected early.
- Staged delivery allows for delivery of partial functionality even if whole project takes longer than expected.
||Unstable tools delay schedule
- Only one or two new tools are used on this project; remainder have been used on previous projects.
- Project vision encourages developer buy-in.
- Active, detailed project planning creates clear expectations.
- Periodic reestimation supports revised plans to account for changes in scope without massive overtime.
- Productivity environment supports high developer productivity, high motivation, and high retention.
||Friction between developers and customers
- User interface prototype aligns developers and customers on same detailed vision.
- Staged deliveries provide customers with evidence of steady progress.
||Unproductive office space
- Will move development to off-site environment with private offices after completing user interface prototype.
- Still need budget approval for conducting project off-site.